A unique service specifically for adults with autism who have additional needs
A primary focus on an individual's autistic needs
We provide person-centred support through an autism-specific learning plan that addresses social, physical, sensory and behavioural needs, thereby promoting personal development.
We aim to make a positive difference
We use a range of autism-specific approaches tailored to meet an individuals needs and abilities. When used, these approaches can alleviate frustration and reduce anxieties, facilitating learning.
A person-centred plan
Autism First begins with our individual transitional plan that is developed with the individual and their support network. This allows us to continue our assessments and provides time for relationship building with the individual. We have no time constraints or pressure on this process, as we recognise that for this to be a positive experience it is essential that we deliver this at a pace that suits the individual.
Using our autism-specific learning plan, we work with a progressive model of support that builds social tolerance and communication skills through the use of drama, music, arts and independent living skills, that are then used for practical sessions in the local community. This phased approach towards group involvement leads to increased self-esteem, independence and social inclusion.
We empower individuals to communicate their needs
Throughout our programme we empower individuals to communicate their needs and preferences and ensure that the support they receive is tailored accordingly.
Each individual can grow
We create an environment in which we do not limit expectations of our members. Everyone can grow, make choices, and achieve.
The Key Aims
- Helping people reach their goals and increase their independence
- Assessing individuals’ learning styles and ASC needs and developing a service which is personalised to them
- Developing services in consultation with the people we support and their networks
- Maintaining an empowering culture in an autism friendly environment
- Recognising, respecting and promoting the rights of the people we support
- Recruiting, training and retaining a multi-disciplinary staff team