Information for carers

Helpful resources related to autism


You might benefit form seeking more information about autism yourself, if you haven’t already. Having a good understanding of autism will help the individual as well as yourself and your relationship.

Explore our useful websites page to discover more information about autism.

Benefits information

Carers assessment

Carers who provide a substantial amount of care should ask their local Social Services for a Carer’s Assessment. This is an opportunity for them to look at your needs for support and further training. Social Services will then include this support in the disabled person’s care plan.

You will be entitled to an assessment regardless of the amount or type of care you provide, your financial means or your level of need for support. You don’t necessarily have to live with the person you are looking after or be caring full-time to have an assessment.

Carers allowance

As a parent or carer of somebody with autism you may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance. This is a taxable benefit that can be paid to people over 16 years who provide care for over 35 hours a week provided the person you care for is in receipt of certain benefits.

Your health

If you are looking for a support group nearby, you can do your own research using the Autism Directory or a similar online directory service.

Your GP can help you where needed with any issues affecting your own health and also signpost you to any support services like a parent/carer support group.

The Care Act 2014

In April 2015 The Care Act 2014 replaced most previous laws regarding carers and people being cared for. It outlines the way in which local authorities should carry out carer’s assessments and needs assessments; how local authorities should determine who is eligible for support; how local authorities should charge for both residential care and community care; and places new obligations on local authorities.

From April 2015 there are national eligibility criteria for both carers and the person being cared for. There is a national minimum threshold and if a carer or the person being cared for meets this threshold, they will have eligible needs. From April 2015 you are entitled to a carer’s assessment where you appear to have needs, this matches the rights to an assessment of the person being cared for. You will be entitled to support if you meet the national eligibility criteria.

Useful numbers

Samaritans - 08457 90 90 90

Confidential and non-judgmental emotional support whenever you need someone to talk to, 24/7 helpline.

Carers UK Adviceline - 0808 808 7777

Adviceline is staffed by experts with extensive experience of dealing with the problems carers face. Providing free and confidential information and advice on benefits and tax credits, carers employment rights, carers assessments, the services available for carers, and how to complain effectively and challenge decisions.

NHS Carers Direct Helpline - 0808 802 0202

Confidential advice on any aspect of caring, including assessments, benefits, direct payments, individual budgets, time off and maintaining, leaving or going back to work or education.

NHS - 111

Individuals can now call 111 when medical help is needed urgently, but its not a 999 emergency. You will be assessed, given advice and directed straightaway to the local service that can help you best. Available 24/7.

Need more information?

We can provide further advice or guidance through contacting us. Additionally, learn more below to visit our Information For Individuals page which may have what you’re looking for.